Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pillow Case Dresses

So here's what I've done with some of the pillowcases from the box of vintage sheets I scored. I always wanted to make these but never had quite the right pillow cases. These prints are charming. I found a tutorial online and combined several different methods so I'll let you do your own research in that department.

First I cut a portion of fabric straight across from the top to get my desired length (you'll see what I did with the extra fabric further down) and then cut the armholes and neckline. Super easy.

Next I sealed the edges of the arms with bias tape to give it a more polished look. I used a darker gray tape which I thought contrasted nicely with the vintage prints to give them a bit of a modern twist. It's hard to see in the photo above but be patient a better view is coming up.

I even had enough fabric from the top portion (mentioned above) to make a pair of matching bloomers! This is a project I'd been wanting to do for a while. It's from Heather Ross's Weekend Sewing and this provided a perfect opportunity to try it out. It could not have been easier. Literally took me 20 minutes to crank out 1 pair ( I made 2). I haven't gotten a picture of them yet but I promise they'll show up in a later post.

I used ribbon I had on hand for the shoulder ties.

One is for Iris's BFF Vivian and I can't wait to get a shot of the two of them playing together wearing there dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment