Thursday, September 8, 2011

Favorite Tomato Tart.


I've been making this tart since 2002. Wanna know how I know that? 
Because this magazine is from the fall of 2002.
It's a William-Sonoma publication. 
I don't know if it was the only one they ever published but I never saw another issue other than this one.
I looked...believe me.
If anyone knows if there were other issues I'd love to hear about it.
Please comment below. I heart comments!
Anyway, I will never throw this magazine away. One, because I never throw magazines away. I recycle them or pass them on. And two, sometimes a magazine captures my heart and I keep it forever. 
Like this one.
 I think the subtext says it all... "Paris in the Fall".
There are so many recipes in this magazine that I have used over and over.
Simple. Fresh. Delicious.


In particular is the dough recipe for this tart.
Crunch Dough
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup ice cold water
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter (6oz.) cut into cubes
In mixer (or by hand if that's how you roll) combine dry ingredients.
Add butter and mix until crumbs form.
Add enough of the water for your dough to come together.
Remove from bowl on floured surface knead it together a few times and form a patty.
Wrap it in plastic and chill for at least an hour before using. 
The recipe recommends chilling overnight so if you were doing this for a group you could make this the day before.


I blind bake it for about 10 minutes then remove the pie weights and bake it for about 5 more or until the bottom looks dry.


Then I slather a layer of Dijon mustard, crumbled goat cheese, salt, pepper, thyme (dry or fresh), caramelized onions (1 large or 2 medium, not pictured) and then the tomatoes. 


I had some heirloom tomatoes so I just sort of haphazardly layered them on but if you use plum tomatoes you could arrange them in fancy circles.



Then I just bake it off until the tomatoes look wrinkly and roasted. 
Honestly, I don't know an exact time but if I had to guess, about 20 minutes.
If the edges of your crust start to get to dark cover them with foil.

I also make a balsamic syrup to drizzle over it. You must make this. 
This tart just isn't complete without it.
Balsamic syrup
 1 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp. honey
Simmer until it coats the back of the spoon.
Store in an airtight container.

Serve the tart with a nice salad or top it with some microgreens.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment