Tuesday, September 20, 2011

One Year Ago Today...

One year ago today she came into our lives...finally. Let me explain. She was three weeks late. It was the most emotional three weeks of my life. I was scared. Not about giving birth but because I was worried if I was making the right decision by waiting until she was ready. There is so much fear mongering when it comes to childbirth. I was planning a homebirth and the chances of that looked like they were slipping away. I tried everything...EVERYTHING! Castor oil, acupressure, Castor oil... again, walking, bouncing, yoga... you name it, I tried it.
What finally did it? Acupuncture. This had been suggested over and over through the waiting process but I was reluctant to do it, not because I didn't think it could work, but because it was expensive and I didn't feel like getting stuck with needles.
I went...finally.
They told me I would need at least 2 treatments so I made the appointment for my second treatment for the following day.
Day two began with a home visit from my midwife. She checked me and said the baby's head was definitely lower. Great news. I went to my second appointment and even fell asleep on the table.
I left feeling pretty good. I really had done everything I could to induce labor naturally. So if it didn't happen I wasn't going to beat myself up over it.
It was Saturday and I had made the decision to give up on the homebirth and go into the hospital for induction on Monday if nothing happened over the weekend. I was three weeks overdue after all.
Let me mention that I was going to the hospital every few days for close monitoring in addition to my midwife visiting me almost everyday to make sure everything was ok. It was.

Saturday afternoon I was sitting in bed talking with G about my day and more importantly what were we going to have for dinner. I had started to feel "crampy" earlier but wasn't getting my hopes up as I had been experiencing Braxton Hicks for weeks. But a trip to the bathroom revealed that this might be more than Braxton Hicks. We didn't tell anyone right away. We wanted to be sure and we wanted to enjoy what was probably going to be the last drama free night we were going to have for a long time. Labor continued. Thank God!
I was just uncomfortable enough to not be able to sleep. I dozed a few times but that was about it so I new it was on.
The next morning we called our douhla, the midwife, my bestie and just about everyone else.
I was surrounded by people I love.

I labored all day Sunday. Contractions weren't strong enough, long enough or close enough to call the midwife yet. The birth pool had been set up in the nursery (for weeks) and it was ready for some action.
We labored on. Another sleepless night. The pain was really starting to pick up. I was howling through the night while everyone got some much needed rest. I hopped in the bathtub a few times which was a welcome relief.
Early Monday morning we called the midwife. I could tell G. was nervous. I think he thought the baby was just going to fall out without warning. He wanted a professional there just in case that happened.
She came, she checked, she gave me the bad news... 1 centimeter.
COME ON! It was Monday. I started this thing on Saturday. I haven't slept for two days. I did what any laboring mother would do... I cried.
I was really in pain now. Not to mention utterly exhausted.
We opted for the hospital. An epidural so I could sleep and a little pitocin to speed things up.
Let me say here that this was everything I didn't want and I had alot of emotions running through me at this time. If she had told me I was 3 centimeters, I probably could have soldiered on. If I hadn't already labored for 2 1/2 days, I probably could have soldiered on. 
I was broken. It was time.
Did I mention the hospital we had to go to was 45 minutes away. Oh yeah. That happened.
And there was an accident on the road we had to take. We were stuck at a major intersection for what seem liked an hour but was probably more like 15 minutes. 
My douhla got out of the car and tried to yell at the cop directing traffic to let our lane go but I don't think he could hear her.
I love her.

Here I am after my epidural...on the phone. I was very happy. 
G. was so relieved he fell asleep.
Everything was progressing nicely and we were getting close to 10cm. 
Then my water broke. Light meconium. Hmm.
Shortly after that, babies heart rate starts plummeting. All very typical of births with medical intervention. Not good, just typical.
Long story short...we ended up in the operating room. Yup. C-section.
We like to joke that I managed to have every labor experience that you could have, all in one.

Some creepy painting my BFF took in the hallway.

In the end we had a healthy little baby girl. We were ecstatic.
And despite the drama and immediate seperation we had after her birth, she latched on right away and never looked back.

The day I came home from the hospital, my mom and sister came to visit. They were in love too.

It's hard to imagine that she was ever that small.

He was reluctant to hold her at first. But look how cute they are together.
They're still best buds.

It has been a year of firsts..

...first nap in the crib


...first foods

...first ear infection (that was rough)

...lots of loads of diapers

...first avocado

...first day in the pool

...first friends

...first underwear on head.
And yes, those are my underwear.
She likes to help me with the laundry.

First Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment