Monday, November 21, 2011

Cheesy Kale Chips.

Before you judge. 
Please believe me when I tell you these are de-lic-ious! 
Not kaley at all and super nutritious.
I mentioned them here.

The reason I make these instead of just buying them is because they are extremely expensive.
Extremely!

The bulk of the work is in prepping the kale. I hand pick the leaves to remove them from the thicker stems  which aren't so edible.
I usually buy about 5 bunches at a time so it's alot of pickin' but they last a while so it's worth it.
Then I rinse the leaves and place them in a bowl. 
If you don't have a bowl big enough just break it up into 2 shifts.


The next thing to prep is the "cheese mixture". 
 There isn't any actual cheese in the mixture.
Everything can be purchased in most grocery stores these days or a quick trip to a health food store.

"Cheese" Mixture
(this recipe is per 2 bunches of kale)
1 cup raw cashews soaked for 8 hours
2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp. sea salt
2-3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup re bell pepper

Place all ingredients in blender a blend until smooth. 
I use a little water to loosen the mixture for a smoother blend.




When mixture is complete massage it into the kale leaves until the leaves are nice and wilty.


Like this.

Then I spread them out on two cookie sheets.

This is where you can go a couple different directions.
I like mine to be as nutritionally intact as possible and I happen to have the extra added advantage of having an oven with a dehydrate setting. Sooooo, I dehydrate mine at a low temp for a longer period of time 
(about 12-24 hours depending on how much I'm making). 
If you have a real dehydrator...well you probably know what to do.

The other option is to just bake them. I've done that too.
Do it at a very low temperature ( 175-200 degrees) for about 8 hours.
Just check them periodically.
When they crunch and crisp like chips they're ready.


No joke, these are addictive and deceptively cheesy.
Even the nugget devours them.
I have to hide the bag from her.


Try 'em. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment