Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Recipe.

Wow! Sorry! 
Somehow I posted a post without ... the post!
So here's...the post

I had promised a recipe or two or three.
I'd like to start making good on that promise
This one was mentioned here.
I've been making this one for years. 
It's my go-to dessert because of all the possible variations (and the chocolate).

Mom's Blender Chocolate Mousse
adapted from Bon Appetit test kitchen

1 cup high quality semi-sweet choc. chips
3/4 cup water
3 tbsp. sugar
3 lg. egg whites

Place the chocolate chips in the blender. Heat the water, sugar and... see below... to a simmer. Pour water mixture into blender and blend for 5 seconds.
Seperate 3 egg whites. Pour egg whites into blender and quickly cover and blend for 1 minute.
Divide between 6 ramekins and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

So this is the part where you can "go your own way".
The recipe calls for 1/4 tsp. of instant espresso powder to the water/sugar mixture.
I've done it, it's great.
But you can go the pinch-of-cayenne route, cinnamon or orange zest.
The possibilities are endless.


Now, this "mousse" doesn't exactly have the texture of a handmade mousse. It's more in the area of a pot du creme/chocolate pudding.
But it's delicious, easy and, more importantly, it looks like you worked really hard at it.

I serve it with a simple whip cream. I've also been known to whip out a blow torch and toast some marshmallow fluff on top. 
That's right, nothing says badass-in-the-kitchen like a blow torch.
Something I haven't done yet but I think would be really tasty is shortbread.
Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment