Thursday, March 29, 2012

Horchata.

After seeing this horchata recipe on Pinterest (and promptly pinning it) I knew I had to try it.
It's kind of a new spin on horchata, actually.
Less sugar.
High in protein, vitamins, minerals, 
and good fats.
Delicious.
It's my new favorite post-workout drink!


Here are my adaptations for the above recipe.
For the rice I used a very good quality Jasmine rice. 
Why not?
I also mixed in some of my homemade almond milk which is infused with dates and vanilla bean.
It gave it a real creaminess.
Instead of using sugar I used just a touch (about a tbsp. per quart) of maple syrup.
If you're using maple syrup, use 100% pure maple syrup.
I whirled it all together in a blender,
strained it as directed, placed it in a mason jar with a cinnamon stick in it, and stuck it in the fridge overnight to infuse further.
When it was ready, I shook it furiously, grated some fresh nutmeg over the top, and enjoyed.


What a refreshing beverage!
I think we'll be enjoying this one for months to come.



1 comment: